Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Scottish Highlands & Loch Ness Monster!


The volcanic ash cloud delay and my cancelled Paris flight on Monday allowed me to spend a couple more days in Edinburgh. I had heard good things about the Highlands/Loch Ness Grayline bus tour so I booked it for Wednesday. Pickup was at 8:00 AM in front of a Travelodge less than a block from the flat where I’ve been staying.

I expected pretty countryside but the views exceeded my expectations. And snow? And a cruise on Loch Ness where we sighted Nessie, the legendary monster? And that’s no bull!

Okay, a Highland bull named Hamish, at our first coffee stop. We had a comfortable coach and a small group of 16—again thanks to the cloud. Bill, our guide and driver, said he normally takes 40 people on every tour.

After lunch in Fort William and a glimpse of Scotland’s highest peak (4500+ feet) we journeyed on to Loch Ness. Our boat was no ordinary tourist vessel. It was equipped with high tech sonar and other imaging equipment. Every day the crew finds something of interest (that may be a Nessie image) they capture it and email it to MIT. We were very surprised to see the monster surface near the boat as we were cruising along. Seeing is believing. Here’s the video I shot:

NESSIE SWIMS FAST!

When we slowed the boat up popped a baby Nessie!

Just a few seconds after I snapped this picture both creatures slipped beneath the surface, perhaps to lurk in the murky depths--never to be seen again for years! We couldn’t believe our luck and the rest of the tour was anticlimactic. It was still beautiful most of the way until we dropped out of the Highlands and got back to Edinburgh at 7:45 PM.

I spent what was left of the day getting sorted out for my long day of train travel into Paris with an ETA of 6:15 PM.

Viva Nessie, viva la France!

1 comment:

  1. Wow that Nessie not only swims fast but is so smooth about it!! :) Sounds like a great tour day once again.

    You really did some awesome re-arranging of plans, and still getting to Paris is going to feel great.

    I love that bull also - what a hair coat. he could stand up to any winter anywhere.

    Going to find your song now - I bet she is so pleased.

    Evie

    ReplyDelete