Monday, April 12, 2010

Sunday--Sights via Bus and Cruise on the Thames


Sunday was a classic tourist day. Rode the tube to Victoria Station then bought a ticket on the Original double decker bus tour. I got the Rick Steves discount and saved 4 pounds, paid 21. The tour included a river cruise on the Thames. I thought the bus tour and cruise would take up a few hours at most--it took most of the day.

It was time well spent and I got a really good orientation to the city as well as some good pix from the cruise. Cruise went all the way to Greenwich, I didn't get off because I plan to visit on another day and go to the Royal Observatory.

There's no point in enumerating all the sights; I saw most everything between the bus and boat. At least a glimpse of everything major. It was good to plan what I might want to do on foot and in more detail.

I found myself lost in Piccadilly at the end of the bus tour. Sheer luck that I went into a tube station that had a connection to Victoria Line. That's the one I take north and make a couple of connections to the local Chalk Farm station.

Had a rousing good time at Steele's Pub. Met Jerry again and some more of his friends. Live music started around 5:30 and it was good. A trio 2 guitars and electric bass. Quite a few covers of American songs (including John Prine's "Please Don't Bury Me"--a tune I put in friend Joe Rossi's memorial service prelude mix. And of course some British/Irish tunes that were all big hits. More recommendations on good Indian food, a restaurant I haven't tried yet but will definitely do. Here's a picture of the pub:


Here's a short video of Haverstock Hill Road, pub is in the first block on the left, not readily apparent from the video. My flat is just up the street; I walk a short way from this corner and I'm in my London home!


Three pints to the wind I hoofed it down the hill to the Green Note restaurant and music club to hear a bit of live folk music and eat. I had a recommendation on the place from my Scottish friend Karen Miller. The food was good (salad, spring rolls and chili dipping sauce, plum tart with ice cream). Music didn't start until 9 PM--and I had tottered in a little after 7--so I just stayed for the first act then went home via foot and a short hop on the tube.

All in all a very active and enjoyable day!

1 comment:

  1. You are having some beautiful weather! What an inviting pub. I am dreaming about some Indian food now. And a plum tart too.

    ReplyDelete